BLOG POST/ WRITTEN RESPONSE TO THE TIMES WE ARE IN




Pictures from hiking while at home on Long Island, New York. I've been hiking everywhere with my dog since I've been home. 


      My best friend always says the phrase, "When you make plans, God laughs." Growing up, she would throw that phrase around whenever we both face any sort of inconvenience: Getting stuck in traffic, forgetting to study for a test, coming in dead last in a race when we were expecting 1st place. Although all of these things seemed like a big deal at the time, with the COVID-19 crisis currently among us, it's pretty obvious that these slight detours in life were actually quite small. Getting stuck in traffic might make you late for the day. Failing a test may slightly affect your GPA. Losing a race could cost you a medal. A worldwide pandemic costs a bit more. 
    "When you make plans, God laughs." - It's a little sinister to think that God would be laughing right now, but yet that phrase seems to perfectly fit itself into my own current circumstance. Since the beginning of my freshman year, I had this great, ambitious plan to graduate a whole 365 days early. My one source of motivation for getting myself through this was always picturing my graduation day, and how proud my family would be of me. Thinking of that day where I'd be receiving my diploma, I could confidently predict exactly what my mom, dad, and sister would all say to me, and how aggressively they each would hug me. It was this little vision of my future that pushed me to keep going throughout each semester. Ironically, thanks to COVID-19, my graduation ceremony was cancelled. My immediate reaction upon hearing the news was pure frustration. I couldn't believe that I worked my butt off for three years, only to not walk at my own ceremony. For probably a whole week straight, all I thought about was myself and my own problems. However, the truth of the matter is, this problem, although quite significant in my life, still falls into the same category of minor inconveniences along with getting stuck in traffic, forgetting to study for a test, or coming in dead last in a race when you were expecting 1st place.
     Your health and safety are everything. A brisk walk across a stage wearing a cap and gown - that's not everything. 
     Having my graduation ceremony taken away had me realize something very important. For the past three years, I have been extremely focused on one, single day. I constantly jam-packed my schedule and made countless sacrifices for a day that was never really guaranteed for me to begin with. I could have put my attention toward the present, and I could have made part of my goals in life to just try to enjoy each day. Instead, I focused ahead. Ahead, Ahead, Ahead. God is probably beyond laughing when it comes to me. He must be pissing himself.
     
     
     

Comments

  1. Hi Taylor. I really like the photos you chose to include with your response. I'm not sure if you meant for them to be, but they feel intentional. You talk about god a lot in the post and for me I feel closest to god when I am out in nature. It is nice to see that you are able to get out and enjoy the outdoors. This is something I wish I could be doing more right now. I love that you talk about realizing that the things you've lost aren't everything. I also wrote about recognizing all of the things we have lost and realizing I have a lot to be thankful for. I feel that we have many similar feelings about the whole situation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Project Proposal