Final: Artist Statement

Taylor McCormick
Professor Jaime Aelavanthara
Digital Photography I
7 May 2020 
Artist Statement
    Topics such as inclusivity and accessibility are spoken about now more than ever before. The world is constantly changing and adapting to meet the needs of those with disabilities. Despite the fact that individuals with special needs are often recognized and provided with the support that they deserve, no matter what, their lives do not always completely match up to what is considered the life of a “typical” American. Specifically, when examining the home life of an individual with a disability, one may learn that they have to do things in their own, special way in order to best cater to themselves. In my series, titled, “There’s No Place Like Home” I address this idea and utilize still-life photography to provide my audience with a glimpse of the home lives of those with disabilities. For inspiration for these photographs, I used interviews I have conducted both with individuals who have disabilities and those who work with people who have disabilities. These interviews and the responses I received determined what I photographed. In addition, I looked to French photographer Sophie Calle’s “The Hotel” and “The Blind” series as inspiration for both the process and final compositions of my work. Specifically, my style of photographs is based on Calle’s black-and-white still life photography in her “The Blind” series while the message of my work is inspired by her “The Hotel” series.  In my work, one of the specific notions that I address in some of the photographs is that not every person with a disability has access to the best technology, sources, and materials that will assist their day-to-day lives. For this reason, many individuals with a disabilities must adapt and “make-do”. In my photographs, I intend to capture how individuals with disabilities adjust their home-life in creative ways. Through presenting these images, I hope to inform and remind others that these ways of living are no less valid than any other. Moreover, I hope that these photographs will serve as a reminder that having a disability does not mean that one is unable to do anything. In fact, all it means is that one must do something in their own, unique way that best serves them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Project Proposal